St. Francis
PASTTIMES



What are PASTTIMES? Perhaps something to PASS the TIME in order to feel like we are doing something. A hobby, a game, learning a new skill, research about some topic we are or have been very interested in, an invention or discovery that fascinates us or is just plain fun.
Since I have moved into the Village, I have re-discovered activities I used to do or have been too lazy to investigate a new way of being. My first and top priority is exercise, mostly balance, stretching, walking, back strengthening, and gardening. This week, I attended a yoga-meditation class and an ‘aquacise’, (water aerobics) class, both I find delightful.

I’m amazed at how much better my body and mind feel doing these physical and mindful activities! I may have mentioned this before but it bears repeating because it is making such a difference. Many people participate but there are many who do not. I’m sure that it is because they are in pain, stiff or bored. A hobby could be as simple as buying one house plant and caring for it as if it were a baby.
As I,( we) are aging, I feel we must change our mind and attitude about what we are willing to do and what we are not . . . I feel I have no choice if I want to keep moving and enjoying my life fully. I never fail to feel better when I do at least 1 or 2 activities each day, physical and/or mental. I feel tired and satisfied at the same time and when I notice how my body is responding to every day tasks, I’m ever so thankful I push myself.

I also love the selection we’re given and the choice is always ours. I always enjoy BINGO. It is exciting to not only play my best but to NOTICE all the benefits I derive (besides occasionally winning some money!) that bingo teaches me. For example: good sportsmanship (when I lose), paying attention to the caller, focusing on each number called, discipline, yes, discipline to be patient and attentive. I love it.

This week I taught a class called SMALL STONES. The participants loved it and want to continue meeting and writing more.
 Basically SMALL STONES is a way of writing very short personal ‘thoughts’ on paper. It is similar to Haiku, the ancient Japanese art of writing about nature.

 For example:

Pure white plum blossoms
Slowly begin to turn
The color of dawn.

The new year arrived
In utter simplicity----
And a deep blue sky.

With a SMALL STONE, we can write one sentence and divide it into 3 lines. It doesn’t matter how many syllables but it is best to write it in 3 lines. There are 6 senses to focus on:
SEEING, HEARING, TOUCHING, SMELLING, TASTING  and FEELINGS
 One can be inside or outdoors and notice something described in one of the senses and write it quickly without really thinking about it. You’ll be amazed at what you will write. It’s all ‘inside’ waiting to be expressed.

Take a small journal or notebook with you when you go for a walk and just NOTICE something and write it down. For example, I wrote:

The soft feel of the leaf
Makes me want to curl up
Inside it.

Beautiful gray clouds overhead
As a squirrel carries
A pinecone in his mouth.

What has happened to me over time is that I perceive everything differently that I see (or???) just by NOTICING it and ‘writing ‘in my head or in my journal. This entire experience has AWAKENED me to the beauty and magnificence of LIFE.

Whatever you do, decide on one PASTIME to spend some time with. It doesn’t matter what it is, as long as it pleases you and brings some joy to your life. It will ease your mind and body in ways you can’t imagine.


As I sit here,
I hear a bird singing

In the distance.

BLESSINGS







Comments

Popular posts from this blog