DUCKS



LAKE
 As I walked around the Lake at Lake House, a woman on the path mentioned to me she hadn’t seen any baby ducks on ‘our’ Lake. I realized I hadn’t either and was eager to see some ‘babies’. I sat down to enjoy the fountain and the DUCKS that were wandering around. I saw 2 or 3 ducks fly up into the oak trees. It sounds like the name of a children’s story, “A Duck in the Oak Tree.”

I noticed two ducks swimming towards the shore and watched them waddle out of the water and come up on shore. It was a study in duck-watching. They looked like a ‘mama and papa’. I was sure it was a couple, one smaller white and black and the other larger black and white, with these cute little red masks over their face. They stood stark still for several minutes looking out over the lake, especially the one I thought was the female. She didn’t even turn her head! They were completely oblivious to me.

I also noticed how the two ducks were with each other. The male was particularly ‘present’ with the female, looking over at her from time to time to ‘check’ on her, but never disturbing her, just letting her ‘be’. It was so endearing to behold such TENDERNESS. The female seemed very secure within herself, so calm and serene.

Suddenly, a ‘toddler’ duck (at least could fly) came swooping in to the scene. He was so adorable! Neither duck paid any attention to it, they just went about their business. After at least 10 minutes the female duck waddled about and the male waddled along beside her. It was as though he was there for her but ALLOWING her to go on her own adventure.

I was filled with both excitement and awe at the ‘dance’ the couple made with each other. Each was FREE to be who they were with no pushing or CONTROLLING behavior. It was, indeed, a dance of the ducks.

I’m sharing this scenario with you because it was PRECIOUS and an indication of how NATURE provides for these wonderful creatures all that they need. I could see intelligence and thinking of some sort on their faces and in their behavior! Of course sometimes they fight and squabble with each other, but I witnessed something wonderful.

I am so thankful I love to stop along the way to watch NATURE in action. I would never have caught the whole scene if I had been galloping by. It is so worth it to take a few minutes to just sit and watch . . .something!

Ducks faces aren’t particularly expressive, except possibly when they open their mouth, but there was LOVE on their faces for each other, I know it! It was very inspiring. It reminded me of how important it is to ALLOW someone we care about to just ‘BE’ and give SPACE to wander and discover for him/her self what lies ahead.

We can APPRECIATE the wild life we encounter here at the VILLAGE  simply by NOTICING what is right before our EYES, the ‘looking glass of the soul.’ All we have to do is LOOK and there will inevitably be something beautiful to enjoy! I keep seeing 2 butterflies, flying over the scrubs and grass outside my windows. There are no flowers there or blossoms so I surmise they are coming to entertain me.  There is a wren and other birds that serenade me regularly. How sweet is that?


PAYING ATTENTION
To the wonders of NATURE
It is a gift to us all.


BLESSINGS





Comments

Popular posts from this blog