PINK ROSE
PHOTOGRAPHS


The other day, I opened a box in my closet and found several small picture frames I had displayed in my home with cherished PHOTOS. I had removed the PHOTOS, but I couldn’t quite part with the frames. I decided on the spot to give them away. It was a huge relief to not have to think about them anymore. I put the PHOTOS in albums I had been filling over the years.

It is such a consolation that I tackled the big job of sorting through boxes of pictures from eons ago. It was one of the most satisfying tasks I have ever done. I made a 12x12 inch scrapbook type album of my life and 6 – 9 inch albums for each of my 4 children, their dad and myself.
The task seemed daunting at the time but as I perused all the photos and carefully selected the ‘best’ ones, it was a delight. To remember the look on my kid’s faces as they opened their album was worth all the effort.

Looking at any PHOTO can bring up untold emotions, anywhere from sadness, tears, fear, laughter, regret and smiles. I feel the reason that most people don’t want to look through old PHOTOS Is because of the fear it will bring up too much pain. Also that we are so ATTACHED to the feelings that we once had when the pictures were taken we think we are the photos! The memories are so strong that we can be afraid that we will die if we get rid of them. WE ARE NOT OUR PHOTOGRAPHS! (Does this sound familiar, WE ARE NOT OUR STUFF! )

One of the most healing activities I ever did was sorting through my PHOTOGRAPHS and making the albums. I could feel years of old residue seeping out of my body. I mean the old ATTACHMENTS and experiences that I had seldom remembered. Of course, I kept the ‘prizes’ and am so glad I had a place to store them. What is remarkable is that some people have PHOTOGRAPHS of people they don’t remember or know at all!

Tossing them can be so LIBERATING you will soar! Please, please, please, don’t pass them on to your family. They have enough of their own memories and ‘stuff’ to deal with now. When we keep GRASPING, holding on to the past it keeps us from enjoying the PRESENT moments. The precious memories will remain in our consciousness. Let that place be the safe ‘holding place’ for what we hold dear.

An idea . . . if there are a few PHOTOS you can’t part with and don’t have a place for, lay them out on a table and take a picture of them as a group. Keeping each individual PHOTO can become overwhelming. Always remember, we have the EXPERIENCE and memories locked away in our heart. Our experiences and memories is what MAKES US WHO WE ARE, not the photographs, memorabilia, and objects themselves!


Our favorite
PHOTOGRAPHS
Reflect back to us
Times we cherish.



BLESSINGS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog