OLD TREE
WAITING


Now there is a word, WAITING that usually elicits boredom, frustration and irritation in most of us. We can choose WAITING as a game we all are forced to play whether we choose to or not. It truly is considered an inconvenience we would do most anything to avoid. At some time or another in everyone’s life we confront this bit of annoyance of inconvenience.

When this happens to us under the best of circumstances, we handle it in a variety of ways. We can become irritated, blame someone, blame ourselves, angry, uncooperative, fearful unpleasant. This is a result, as I see it, that we are grossly inconvenienced because circumstances are not going our way. We can look over our current life and see how that has come to pass.

For example, moving into the Village, there might have been many inconveniences and waiting time for each of us to ‘get on the road’, and get ourselves settled the way we’d like to.

So . . ., what can we do to make life a little more fluid?

Here are some of the actions and attitudes I have acquired because I know this phenomenon happens and I refuse to just go along with the usual reactions many of us feel.

When I know that there is at least a chance I’ll have to WAIT somewhere, an appointment, a plane flight, a place in line, a meal, a meeting of an frriend, I am prepared. I have a dear pocket book called The Pocket Haiku by Sam Hamill (published by Shambala) that I carry with me like my purse. It is about 2in. by 4in. in size, so easy to carry. Whenever I have to wait or pass the time and want to be inspired, I open the book to any page in the book, and Voila…I’m transported to uplifting and meaningful reading and BREATHING. We can even count our breath and focus on our belly. Athletes and singers have to learn to do this themselves or they won’t accomplish what they intended to get out of their endeavor.

Sometimes I just sit quietly and breathe a very conscious breath in and out , concentrating on the breath. When thoughts amble by, as they are prone to do, as are the clouds, I acknowledge them and go back to my breath.

WAITING might be a good time to write a letter, write in a journal, write out our frustrations , create something and/or doodle about anything. All these can take our mind off irritation and IMPATIENCE, at least to some degree.

When we think about what the annoyance, impatience and irritation does to our selves it seems beneficial to our bodies, minds and spirits to INTEND to apply some beneficial relief to ourselves.
When I am annoyed about WAITING ( which happens from time to time), I’m becoming more and more CONSCIOUS AND GRATEFUL that I have some game rules to help me remember how to take care of myself. It seems to make the time spent WAITING much more pleasant and productive. Besides I’m in much better spirits when I finally ‘get my turn’ and go on with my business. I’m happy and more congenial and so is the ‘other’.

Remember, when we have to WAIT, there is a good reason, someone may need more time because of a great need and we mustn’t take it personally that we are ‘being kept WAITING.’ A great lesson in COMPASSION, to be sure.


It can help
To enjoy waiting
When we think
How long it takes to grow a
Tree.


BLESSINGS



Comments

Popular posts from this blog