BLOOD LEAF
REEVALUATION


Now that Thanksgiving is over, there is a feeling in the air for some of us to hustle and bustle preparing ourselves for the Christmas season. It does somehow lop over each other, particularly when we see Christmas decorations, sales, etc, bombarding our every move, at least in the stores. I am learning to waltz right past them and proceed on with my task at hand.
I feel blessed that I have recognized the VALUE of Christmas within my
self and for my family in recent years. I have not, however, come to terms with the nonsense out there that others buy for their loved ones. I know it is none of my business and very judgmental of me to even notice others purchases, so I am doing my best to turn the other way and bless them for their ideas and choices.

There is an acceleration and a panic, if you will, in some of us that we want to please our friends and family and possibly impress them with our generosity. It seems to me that this is an old pattern of behavior that can be changed.

In these times there are a great many alternative gifts we can give from our hearts with far more meaning than the ordinary gifts from the past. There is so much need in the world, in our hometown that could be given to relieve stress, want and give comfort. Perhaps gifts could be given as a family to people unknown to us. I like to think of ‘breaking out of the box’ of gift giving. Even a more generous donation to the staff for the Gift Fund, considering their roles in our lives.

Personally I have stopped giving ‘gifts’ of ‘things’ to my family and friends. I give greeting cards, homemade ‘gardens’, homemade items that have VALUE and can be used not just ‘looked at’ or tucked away in a drawer somewhere for someday. I have donated money to a charity of need in my family’s name. It makes my heart feel open and kind for enhancing someone’s life from ‘who knows who’?

Back to REEVALUATION, it’s not just the Christmas gift giving but the ENERGY giving I’m talking about. Instead of the franticness that can wash over us, we can day by day look and see what we really want to do and how we want to spend our time and with whom?

There are some very unique gifts we can consider giving as gifts that come from our heart, such as framing a picture of a special person or painting we love, writing a poem or a story, especially a true one for a grandchild, painting a picture or scene we love, giving a set of post cards from long ago trips we have taken, making anything with your hands, wood, baking, carving, sewing, knitting  . . . anything from your heritage or past that you treasure. Be sure to write something about it.

Spending one on one time with a loved one on an afternoon can be a gift that changes both lives. My grandchildren are all (4) in California and what I would give for an afternoon to be with each one of them, as well as my children and their husbands and wives. What pains me is that there is no way I can do this based on several factors. I still can make each conversation and ‘gift’ I choose to give have meaning for all of us.

For those of you who have family close by, consider a new ‘way of being’ with them at Christmas time that leaves everyone feeling a new depth of love, receiving and giving. It is a time to be very creative and inventive from a place of renewal and ingenuity.


Just remember, if it comes from a place of love
 and joy and giving in the Christmas spirit,
we can’t go wrong.


BLESSINGS



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog