GRAPEFRUIT
EXERCISE


Now here’s a word that makes people beam or cringe. I have never been a big athlete and I must say it is the only big regret I have in my life. I remember the first time as a young teenager when I actually hit the softball a considerable distance! I couldn’t stop jumping up and down and screeching like a hawk! It was so much fun!

Over the years I have taken TaiChi, Yoga, QiGong, swimming, walking and stretching classes. I have really enjoyed them all. I used to run some in the early mornings but that kind of wore thin. I’m starting TaiChi/Yoga and QiGong again once a week in a class. Maybe I’ll continue doing it in my home with a DVD. It definitely is do-able.

Now that I’m at the Village, I have made myself join some classes that I have loved. I have a back that pains me from time to time, always first thing in the morning so I have gone to back classes, balance and stretch classes regularly.

When I fell in my garden bed last October, I couldn’t do any EXERCISING for at least 2 months. Now I’m taking stretch Tuesday’s and Thursday’s, and walking 4-5 times a week. The biggest change for me, and what is making a difference is stretching in bed before I start my day.

 Someone showed me a few simple stretch EXERCISES. When I first started doing them I could barely lift my legs and everything hurt. I very carefully PERSISTED and now I can fairly fly through them with ease and agility. It take about 5-7 minutes and by the time I get off the bed again I feel much more limber. The back pain still comes and goes, especially when I get out of bed or up from sitting too long. As I start moving around, I don’t feel the pain anymore.

So, this is more than sharing my accomplishments. It is a plea for all of us to COMMIT to our health in discovering the best form of EXERCISE we can do for ourselves. Many people can’t walk without the aid of a walker or cane. I feel they can do something for themselves in bed or in a chair. It needs to be gentle, enjoyable, not too painful, just a mild stretch. Also if we can get outside for even half an hour in the sunshine and soft breezes, it will replenish us. . . . our bodies, lungs and souls.

Here’s another idea! Close your eyes and pretend you are a deep sea diver. Except instead of diving in the deep water, hold a flashlight and start at the top of your head and ‘dive’ into your head, keep going and inspect every organ, every, everything and see if you can talk to all parts of the body and PRAISE and THANK them for all they do for you, keeping you alive and functioning, however that is. PAY ATTENTION to particular parts that are painful and flood it with LOVING KINDNESS.
Whatever we do and wherever we are, remember to BREATHE, consciously. It will bring into us a feeling of well being and nourishment.


If it has been awhile
since we did any EXERCISE,
 it is not too late to try something!


BLESSINGS.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog