MUSICAL NOTES
COURAGE


COURAGE comes in many forms, such as military people, mother’s giving birth, children going to school, teachers facing recalcitrant students, dealing with anyone who is very uncooperative, employers who are over bearing and prejudice, on and on it goes.

Actually when I think about it we all are COURAGEOUS in our own world and our own strivings to make our life work. There are those moments when everything falls into place and we feel like we are sailing through our life like a light fluffy cloud. There are other times when we must face cruelty, disappointment, unfairness and anything that is a challenge.

I know about COURAGE from many incidences when I feel panic, anxiety and overwhelm that are daunting. I’m discovering that when I NOTICE my feelings and sensations that are uncomfortable and I have a task to perform, or a place to go, that if I just BREATHE, pause and affirm that I have everything I need to proceed, I do proceed and with success. It is a matter for me of ‘just keep on-keeping on. It shocks me each time.

I have also discovered that there is s spirit inside me that guides me ‘through the tunnel’. What is so wonderful is that I ALWAYS feel better once I push forward and succeed!

There are many movies and books that inspire me and I am in ‘wonder’ watching how people do what they do. Fortunately I’m not called upon to perform such feats myself. A perfect example is the movie, ‘”Soul Surfer”. It is the true story of Bethany Hamilton, a 13 year old surfer, living in Hawaii, who experienced her arm being bitten off by a shark. Surfing was her passion. She wanted nothing more than to master the art of dealing with her infirmity AND surfing again. She did all that and has become a professional surfer. She travels around the world speaking to people who are injured, crippled to inspire them to know they can make a comeback to some degree.

Bethany had so much to deal with besides learning how to surf all over again. It was remarkable to watch her come from disabled to completely able! Her family, friends and ministry supported her beyond words and that was the secret to her comeback. What a spirit she had. Completely inspiring! I realized at a very deep level that we do have what it takes spiritually, if we have the faith and support to persevere.

I have been challenged greatly the last few months with back pain and lethargy. With the inspiration of how to stretch and help myself and the proficient help of therapists, I am rallying to at least try to do things I used to do, on a much smaller scale. It is working and what I can’t do or am not moved to do, I let it go or try something else. I find peace in those decisions so I go into each day with a determination and a confidence that is ever so grounding. Gratitude is my middle name.


The decision
To be COURAGEOUS
Is the first step.



BLESSINGS

Comments

  1. I understand your feelings! I struggle with anxiety too, but, like you, I treat it like a pesty bug that refuses to completely go away-so I live with it-but refuse to let it be my boss. I am very open with friends, co-workers, family about it-so they understand my need to disengage on occassion. Thanks for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog