ADVENTURE When I was in my 50’s in California, A group of us ‘did’ a ROPES COURSE. There were several different events we could do but ours was the TYROLEAN TRAVERSE. I had never even heard of it before I went so I didn’t know what to expect, but I did know it would probably be the biggest challenge of my life! And it was. The site was situated in woods and a ravine, a very deep ravine, that’s all I can remember. It was a beautiful location. As we approached the platform of the TYROLEAN TRAVERSE, I started to really get anxious. As I looked out over the ravine I really got anxious! The people strapped me to a harness which was attached to a very long zip line that extended all the way across the ravine. They instructed me that once I was all harnessed in and hooked up, I was to jump off the platform and literally go sliding on the zip line to the center of the ravine. I completely froze and the supervisor said “she’ll never jump!” I took a deep breath and said ‘oh yes I will!” With that, I jumped off the platform & went sailing down easily and effortlessly to the center of the zip line, stopping over the center of the ravine. There was a group of ‘cheerer-oners’ on the platform I just left as well as a group awaiting my ‘arrival back to earth’ when I got to the other side! They kept screaming at me to pull myself across hanging upside down ( it was as though I was lying on my back with my arms overhead and using my hands to pull myself along hand over hand. ) It was unimaginable to me. I was sure I was going to stay there for the rest of my life! THERE WAS NOONE TO SAVE ME! I had to do this myself to get back to earth! I was too scared to look down, let go of the rope or anything but cling as tightly as I could, pray and pull myself along! It was the HARDEST feat I have ever done, before or since. By the time I ‘hit’ the ground on the other side I was laughing and crying so hard I couldn’t stand! The group gathered around me and supported me once again in acknowledgment and praise. They knew it was a very big deal for me! Hey, for anybody! After that feat, I was never the same! I looked at challenges with very different eyes and emotions after that. What it did for my CONFIDENCE was amazing. I completely got the magnificence and reward of effort and success in at least trying to do something extremely challenging!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog