DISCOVERIES


I have been DISCOVERING so many magnificent gifts lately. Gifts that simply show up unexpectedly, and with such an impact on me! Someone introduced me to an unusually gifted person who has written poetry that truly makes my heart sing! Her name is Mary Oliver. She was born in 1935 and passed in 2019.

She wrote poems of nature and all the exquisite descriptions of even a leaf or a waterfall that is rapturous! She also wrote about her life and experiences she had that were the most meaningful. The blend of the two is so fluid. I do get carried away talking or even thinking about her brilliance. I have a new Kindle and have borrowed 3 books from the library just so I can bathe in her words. I know I'll be purchasing some of her work as well.

I do not know when I have been so INSPIRED by any author as I am with her! From the moment I read her first poem, I was 'hooked'. Now what is interesting to me is that I have never been drawn to poetry before mostly because I got turned off by all the rhyming. It bored me and became tedious to plow through a poem of that nature. There are a great many poets whose work I intend to read, but for now I'm thrilled with Mary Oliver.

I have suddenly become INSPIRED to write poetry myself! That's my new DISCOVERY! I never thought i 'could' write poetry but the truth is I have been writing SMALL STONES, (a more lenient version of Haiku for many years,) several times a week. I always write a SMALL STONE at the end of my blog. I love writing them and as of yesterday, while sitting by the lake, I wrote about 5 short poems about the gorgeousness of the scene before me. It was so simple and easy and seemed to flow through my fingers like a soft flowing stream.

It is quite extraordinary to DISCOVER something within myself that has been lying there waiting for the right time to be born! That has happened to me many times in my life, revolving around organizing, writing, gardening, watercoloring and sewing. Of course I learned the skills from others but it was that certain 'something' WITHIN me that listened and obeyed the CALL to act. I'm so very glad I did. Now I have a delightfully pleasant new activity that will fulfill a need I have to CREATE anew! What a gift!

When I'm OPEN to the 'new' 'I am at my best and there is such a flow that happens, it is palpable. I'm so grateful for my listening heart that opens up when the time is right. This is available to everyone! Any time there is a flutter or a twinge about something creative, it is good to PAY ATTENTION.

Here is a portion of a poem by MARY OLIVER I love:


Deep in the wood, I tried walking on all fours. I did it for an hour or so

through thickets, across a field, down to a cranberry bog.

I don't think anyone saw me! At the end, I was exhausted

and sore, but I had seen the world from the level of grasses . . .


This is a poem I wrote by the lake:


The soft afternoon breeze wafts over me and all around me.

How soft and delightful every breath!

Oh please never stop, or at least 

come back again tomorrow!


HAPPY DAYS!

BLESSINGS


                                                              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog