LISTENING



When  I was 10 years old, my parents bought a cabin 50 miles from our home town, Powell, Wyoming and 25 miles from Yellowstone Park. The times spent at the cabin were sheer bliss to me and my family for many years. One of the highlights for me was LISTENING to the breeze in the pine trees around the cabin especially at night when all was quiet. It was so mysterious and soothing, I have remembered it vividly ever since.
I'm very AWARE of the sound of the wind but also many other sounds of Nature, water, birds, many things, It's so present for me I can't miss it. 

LISTENING to people more consciously has opened up a new world for me as a way to CONNECT with myself and what I'm experiencing when I'm in communication with someone else as well. LISTENING to myself, I can tell what I'm feeling and wanting so much better. Also, when I set my 'mind aside' and really LISTEN to what others are saying I can have a much better idea of what they are actually SAYING.

This is what I call DEEP LISTENING. It is a far more meaningful way for me to be with another. So how does one LISTEN deeply? It's very simple but not always easy. There are 3 things I remember when LISTENING, one is to look the other person in the eye and, to not interrupt by telling something about myself and to ask questions.That way I know I'm are 'present' with them. THIS is the hardest thing to do for real communication. I have to make myself refrain from speaking up when it is not my turn!

As I get older and talk to various people and about various subjects, it's even harder because I have things I can relate to that the other is saying or I think I have some advice to share! I experience that recently, wanting to interrupt and talk myself. I 'woke up' enough in time to realize 'this 'person had something important to share and I could LISTEN a few more seconds, really, to what was being said. I know, it mean a lot to just LISTEN.

Each of us has something to say and wants to be heard. It is a very important aspect of relationships. Remembering to LISTEN, show RESPECT and CARE is the HIGHEST form of COMMUNICATION and I dare say EVERYONE deserves this courtesy. It's a matter of 'showing up' for others in a very meaningful way!


The ART of LISTENING
to ourselves, to others, 
to NATURE is the best 
gift we can give . . .


BLESSINGS

Comments

Popular posts from this blog